Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Grainy

That is visibility description for this morning’s run.  It comes from Mike describing a photo he took in Sweden in low light.  It was ‘grainy’ he said.  Well today I thought of that photo of something Swedish that Mike told me about but which I’ve since forgotten two days later.  I thought of it when I was struggling with my headlamp.

 

I took the headlamp off the window sill this morning thinking that since the sun is sleeping in, I could just flash my watch into the beam and see my time.  Not so.  The watch face just reflected the light back into my eyes.  Which is probably why they invented the ‘backlight’ but I don’t know for sure.

 

So I thought I’d use the headlamp to see.  Nope.  So foggy the mist just reflected the light back into my eyes.  And as I was trying to peer into the soup, the word ‘grainy’ pop into my head.  I thought I could see something.  But no, I could not.

 

So I thought I’d use the headlamp as a safety feature.  Perched on my head for cars to see.  My lantern would be a beacon in the thick and automobiles would courteously grant my meager lane.  Afraid not.  Like bugs to a zapper, they all got so d**n close I almost fell in the ditch a dozen times.

 

I turned the headlamp off and basked in the porch light after 12 and called it day.  ~7:48 pace.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sonhasrisenrunning said...

Nice to know that everything is ok. I was getting worried--no blogging and didn't see you out there.

9/22/2009 12:41 PM  
Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

Still in awe how you do must of your running in the wee hours of the morning. Well done!

As for fog, I have a few friends that have rigged waist belts for their headlamps to avoid that "high beam" effect.

9/22/2009 6:08 PM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

Yes, the grainy picture of Jo and I squinting at our food while huddled in the cold!

9/22/2009 7:48 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Be careful - better to take on the coyotes than Mack trucks.

9/23/2009 5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home