Friday, September 11, 2009

Easy day to recover

Went to bed at 8pm and woke at 4am for a full night’s sleep.  Then just an easy 3.1 miles or so, meeting up with Eric.  Very cool out this morning.  Just loving this new weather.  The legs weren’t sore to speak of so I think I’m doing ok.  Plan is to run easily tomorrow for a longer distance, then an easy 17 with Mike on Sunday.  Thinking that my next hard run will be on Tuesday.  Perhaps a 10 mile tempo.

 

I’ve been thinking about the simulation run and I am letting these workouts guide me toward a goal pace for the marathon.  I feel pretty good around 6:15-6:20 per mile.  This was the 2nd simulation run that averaged out at 6:16-6:17 per mile.  The first one was a few weeks ago that was conducted with a large negative split.  This one was pretty narrow.  But both came in within 20 seconds of each other.

 

Do I start the marathon at goal or slower?  That is the question.  If I go slower I’ll have more room for picking up the pace later on.  I think it may depend on how the packs group up.  I’d rather not run by myself in the early miles.

 

And RG’s Mom: I’m not on Facebook but I’m on Twitter @downeastrunning.  Catch me there.

 

And for all the bloggers I usually read and comment on: I’ve had internet trouble at the house for weeks now so I’m missing out (no home email either!).  Mike’s been filling me in somewhat.  I hope to have it all resolved in a few days.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sonhasrisenrunning said...

Nice meeting up with you.

9/11/2009 12:19 PM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

17 eh? I'll just hope for the best

9/11/2009 6:36 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

What's your goal? 6:20s is 2:46. Starting at that would give you a good chance of running 2:43. It's always best to run even-paced or for a negative split.

Running in a pack isn't going to work if the pack's going too quick. You've only got to look at what happens to packs in the Olympics or World Champs to see that.

9/11/2009 8:21 PM  
Blogger MB said...

your marathon build is shaping up very solid, the best I've seen thus far, let's hold it together. You probably already know this but if first time running Green Mountain Marathon(?) take a look at the last three years results and see how many marathoners finish around your goal pace, take a look at the time spread between them, also don't forget that if it's hilly then it'll break up groups.

I remember the Race of Champions, where I first came across your blog, and running blogs, those hills broke up our groups that were solid early on. Unless, you have a good pact with another marathoner consider running within yourself; apparently you'll be well trained for it :-)
This is great--I am looking forward to more of your build.

9/11/2009 8:34 PM  
Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

Glad the training is going well. Nice the early autumn weather is coinciding with it also. By the way, you should open a Facebook account. Mike has one (but needs to use it more!). :-)

9/12/2009 4:20 PM  
Blogger Garry said...

Your training has gone exceptionally well this go around. Good luck with the final weeks and above all else stay healthy!

9/13/2009 10:19 AM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

i'm beginning to work on convincing myself to start out a little slower-than-goal for nyc, but i feel i'm less consistent. i've read more about starting out a little slower and picking it up than trying to run even the whole time. my bq marathon i went out faster-than-pace and struggled a little later on, but held on for the bq. in cases like that i always wonder if i would have had a stronger finish/last few miles if i'd taken it out a little easier?

9/14/2009 8:27 AM  
Blogger Sonhasrisenrunning said...

Hope that your training is going well. Miss your blogging.

9/16/2009 12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home