Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Mr. Inefficient

One of those days.

Ran slower harder.

12 miles @ 6:53 pace. 157 HR.

Compare this 40 degree morning to last Friday's same workout in 0 degrees: same pace, 151 HR.

Problem? Twofold. 1. Didn't run smoothly. 2. Need a good recovery run (read smooth and easy).

Today I was running comfortably with a slight nag in the right quad (which hopefully will be taken care of Wednesday at massage therapy) through 6 miles. A slight pace progression possibly. On the turn around I got to playing with the pace and effort. This was fun and got the juices flowing. Obviously, it got the heart beating too. I suspect near the 9 mile mark I was ready to be done playing the workout just had an emphasis on work. Not wanting to slow it down (or at least back off) for the final miles, I pushed through to my cooldown spot. My guess is the 2nd half of my run had a deep affliction of inefficiency. Something to work on. Still got a stimulus from today's workout but I was brought up short by the HR and average pace considering how I felt.

Re: recovery running. I haven't had a good 140HR run since last Thursday. Time for another. These seem to fit like a piece to puzzle. All systems go. No slog, no work. Just roll. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's run.

4 Comments:

Blogger UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Hey there Mr. Inefficient, get a recovery run in and then you will be transformed, once again, into the running equivalant of Mr. Hyde.

1/08/2008 11:18 AM  
Blogger MB said...

aahh, it's just one run, I've got plenty of those-not too worry.

An article about you! Nicely written.

1/08/2008 2:50 PM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

Didn't you tell me you were doing a taper week (20-14-12-10)? Hope those rockets don't kick in on the long run. Run easy easier in the morning!

1/08/2008 7:18 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Stop spreading rumors Mike... 20 14 12 and "11". But I did the math wrong. I have to do 12 tomorrow.

1/08/2008 8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home