Sunday, January 06, 2008

Slip and Slow

Those with screw shoes would have done well today on our long run course. But me, I slipped for most of the 20 miles making the run rather a chore in the leg department. When Mike & I finished, I was pretty sore.

This was one of those days when you just get it done. But once it is done, it's in the log to stay. The temperature was a warm 30 degrees, the wind was calm, and the sun peeked out for a few minutes too. But nearing the end, I could only think of having a hot cup of coffee, a chocolate ball and just sitting down.

Slow was the pace today. After the first twinge in the groin from slipping up a hill, I backed off any attempt at grip on snow - a good policy that got me through to the end. There was a brief respite around mile 14 when we hit some pavement. That was nice.

During the last mile Mike and I were searching for ways to describe the odd sense of relief we felt when the terrain changed from up to down and then back up again. After a few minutes discussion, we agreed it was similar to when you stop hammering one toe to begin on another.

20 miles @ 8:47 pace. 128 HR. ** Today was special. I finally had a lower heart rate than Mike**.

**********************************************

Weekly round up

Wk 1: 58.5 miles / 13.3 mile long run
Wk 2: 60.2 miles / 15.1 mile long run
Wk 3: 61.0 miles / 17 mile long run
Wk 4: 65.7 miles / 17 mile long run
Wk 5: 67.3 miles / 17 mile long run
Wk 6: 69.2 miles / 20 mile long run
Wk 7: 74.3 miles / 20 mile long run
Wk 8: 76.0 miles / 20 mile long run
Wk 9: 80.3 miles / 20 mile long run
Wk 10: 88.3 miles / 20.2 mile long run
Wk 11: 92.1 miles / 20 mile long run

There are 7 weeks left in the aerobic base build but only two more increases in mileage. I am just beginning to see some aerobic improvement. These things obviously take time.

***********************************************

And finally a book update: Since finishing Alan Greenspan's Age of Turbulence, I have finished:

*Life with Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse (a very funny book)
*Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling (promised my daughter I'd read the series)
*Terry Fox and his Marathon of Hope by Douglas Copeland (a photo essay book I received from Mark in Alberta - thank you Mark!)

Books in progress:

*The Memoirs of Cordell Hull (2 vols, currently on volume 1) by Cordell Hull
*Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller
*Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
*The House of Intellect by Jacques Barzun
*Knight of the Maison Rouge by Alexandre Dumas (bedtime book for the girls)
*Falconer by John Cheever (I hate this book and if I ever finish it I'll throw it in the trash)

4 Comments:

Blogger UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

You are absolutely unstoppable!! This is definitely the winter of much content.

So, is a spring marathon on the horizon??

1/06/2008 1:13 PM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

It was nice to just get it done today. I'm looking forward to bare pave next week with the impeding thaw. My HR monitor was malfunctioning for the 1st 2 miles but you still got me. I'm impressed!

1/06/2008 4:17 PM  
Blogger Grellan said...

That's a very impressive weekly mileage build up (and book list). Onwards and upwards.

1/06/2008 5:53 PM  
Blogger MB said...

That's a nice mileage increase progression. I've been looking for a pullback. But with all systems going strong, knock on wood, keep at it.

1/06/2008 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home