Monday, September 17, 2007

Meeting the Mountain Goat

After driving 3 hours in the pouring rain, I arrived safely, if not soggily, at the Blackwoods Campground in Bar Harbor. I pulled up to the Ranger's little cabin and the first thing I noticed was the sign that commanded: "Stay with your Vehicle!". I turned off the engine and didn't move a muscle.

Park Lady: "May I help you?"

"Yes. I am here to see Jamie."

"Ah yes!" she cried. And then disappeared.

A short period ensued where I was left alone to ponder the aforementioned sign.

A new lady appears.

Park Lady 2: "How long will you be staying?"

"Just the night" I reply.

"Do you have a Park Pass?"

"No... am I in a Park?"

"Yes. $5."

As I hand over the $5 I receive minute instructions on where exactly to park my motorcycle - "In front of the rocks, not beyond!" Her hands joined in. "Cars here - tent there".

"Got it." I assured her and I left the Protectress of Blackwoods to find my way to B120.

I pulled up to the tent site and the purring of the Kawasaki woke Jamie up. After a few words of introduction, I launched into one of my long monologues about Ham Radio or motorcycles or some nonsense and relieved him of having to say anything. After a short hour, Mike & Marc showed up. Jamie was very glad to see them.

Here are some things I learned from Jamie:

1. He likes baseball. In fact, he likes baseball so much, he convinced us to dine in a restaurant that had a TV every 3 feet. Every screen was THE GAME.

2. Jamie is happy when the Red Sox beat the Yankees. Jamie is unhappy when the Yankees beat the Red Sox. We all spoke very encouragingly about the Red Sox.

3. Drinking Gatorade supports Jamie's alma mater - The U of F. Go Crocs!

4. Jamie's cellphone is not a phone. It is a scoreboard.

There seems to be a tangible difference between a Moose, even a blind one, and a sturdy Mountain Goat. The MG appears to be able to ascend multiple steep hills with no apparent stress. Us Moose, however, are left stumbling, tumbling, and fumbling our way through the course. The poor goat had to wait for us several times. A patient, kind, goat.

It wasn't long, however, until we had him showing us the 'ballet hop' in response to my 'windmill' and Mike's 'airplane' as we careened down a hill. Yes, he fit right in.

It was a great weekend with lots of laughs and the addition of another kindred spirit made it that much better. We are looking forward to next month and the actual race. We'll probably win the "most miles laughed" category.

3 Comments:

Blogger UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

I think Jamie might keep his tent site a secret next time.

Nice post.

How about coming west for a long run this weekend?

9/17/2007 10:20 PM  
Blogger Blaine Moore said...

Heheh, now I will need to look into this "ballet hop" phenomenon the next time that I run with him!

Thanks for the laugh. Good luck next month!

9/18/2007 9:06 AM  
Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

Crocs!? Ha ha ha! Great finally meeting you and the gang. That was definitely a very fun weekend and see you again in a few weeks!

9/18/2007 4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home