Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I love my podiatrist

She said: "Have you tried not running?"

Andrew filter: "Has the pain kept you from running, poor soul?"

She said: "I won't tell you to stop running because you won't listen."

Andrew filter: "Run 'til you die. Don't let anything stop you."

She turned out to be a sensitive, caring woman. She didn't argue with me at all. For example, when I said, "Take Sunday's 20 miler... it was sore until the ibuprofen kicked then, then it hurt again from miles 14 - 17, but then the endorphins took over and all was ok"... she merely raised her eyebrows.

*************************

But seriously, here's the skinny. It's your old fashioned P.F. It hasn't gone away for months because it's not being treated. She sympathizes with the need to run and says it can be done. Also, the pain is radiating up into the ankle because of a subtle gait change while walking and/or running that is putting pressure on a different tendon. "Fix the P.F. and you fix the ankle." - Dr. Pod.

New rules:

1. 3 tablets of ibuprofen 3 x day for 10 days. Do not treat pain, treat inflammation. My problem has been taking ibuprofen for pain only. She says I need a 10 day regimen.

2. Orthotics. Need major support for the Plantar tendon that is not being provided with my shoes or sneakers. She suggested I change my sneakers more often. I suggested she lend me a Franklin or two. Instead, she gave me orthotics for my running shoes. Said to take out the insoles and replace them with the orthotics. She also gave me orthotics for my walking shoes.

3. Ice. Frozen water bottle to be rolled by socked foot. Ice is not necessary on top of the foot.

4. Foot splint. To keep the foot flat while sleeping or watching a movie, I am to encase my foot in a splint.

5. Hills. Stop running up or down hills. Flat courses are for me says she. Until everything calms down.

6. Stretch foot with belt prior to getting out of bed. This will get the tendon back to its proper position prior to putting weight on it.

***************************

While I may have entered the doctor's office trembling like a leaf, I left all smiles with my arms overloaded with two sets of orthotics, a night splint, and pockets stuffed with a million little packets of Biofreeze.

What a beautiful day.

7 Comments:

Blogger UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

"She suggested I change my sneakers more often. I suggested she lend me a Franklin or two."

I cracked up when I read this - classic Andrew.

Great post.

9/18/2007 9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news!

And where can I get one of them "filters". They seem awfully practical.

9/18/2007 9:10 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Take Sunday's 20 miler... it was sore until the ibuprofen kicked then, then it hurt again from miles 14 - 17, but then the endorphins took over and all was ok" ... she merely raised her eyebrows.

This one cracked me up.

9/19/2007 4:25 AM  
Blogger Jamie Anderson said...

Ah, good news for sure. Heal up and I'm jealous about the Biofreeze. That stuff is great!

9/19/2007 5:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As somone who had PF and got over it (orthotics help a ton), it's not just enough to treat the injury, but address the root cause of it: overtraining, strength imbalance, etc.

Perhaps the orthotics will be enough, but I found that if you have this injury, there will come a point where you need to back down or something else bigger will crop up. For me, it was a tibial SFX.

I don't mean to be a buzzkill or insensitive, but if you don't want some majorly forced downtime, might not be a bad idea to back down a little bit...

9/21/2007 2:04 PM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

We're all cracking up when this guy gets a good head of steam going. Sunday's run: we pass some walkers and all say hi but A has time to say hi, AND make a joke! What a guy ;-)

9/21/2007 7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right with you on the BioFreeze swipes. They are my favorite parting gift. Good luck with your feet!

9/22/2007 3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home