Sunday, September 04, 2005

Leaning on Friends

If it wasn't for Marc, I don't know what I'd do. After having such a tough time getting back "on track" after my summer slump, Marc has pulled for the both of us in terms of motivation, inspiration, and actual training.

Since my last good week of running which happened to be the first week of July (here it is September already!!!) I have put in weekly:

36.4 miles
31 miles
10.2 miles
0 miles
7.3 miles
30.9 miles
34.9 miles
27.2 miles
28.6 miles

I remember when these #'s represented the full training schedule. Now they are evidence of the start and stop mentality of one I-can't-seem-to-wake-up-in-the-morning challenged individual. In order to salvage any semblance of real runnerhood, I have resorted to running on my lunch hour again. (This however, is very motivational for me as it reminds of the good 'ol days with Marc when we put in some mega miles by running the daily double).

However, in the last few weeks, the fire has been stoked and the steam is starting to build. I have to credit Marc for the kick in the pants. He has emailed me constantly with the tiniest details of his super recovery from the ankle injury. Then I get the splits from his track workouts. Then he calls me on the phone to encourage me to run. If that's not enough, he then follows-up to make sure I actually got out there and ran! (One message on my phone was from the "Fairy God-Runner" but I suspect that was his voice too).

Why must he take such an effort to get someone who obviously loves to run to actually go and run? Well, after a short pause of internal critical thinking, I have determined that I am insane. No other explanation. When someone refuses to do what they love to do they are insane.... ah, this just in... according to some running literature, I may also be "overtrained". Well, either way they rhyme.

So back to Marc. I somehow feel like I am the subject of his latest thesis for psychoanalytic running , because now he calls, feigning desperation, that he needs to run a marathon and I am to run with him. Well, how can I let him down? I can't. So, I promise I will run the Cape Cod Marathon with him on October 30. This, as you may be aware, of course gives me a goal. And what does a goal do? Why it motivates. So sneaky Marc has tricked me back into training for an Autumn marathon when he knows darn well I was prepared to forego the pleasure.

Thanks Marc.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Glad to hear you motivation is back. I was struggling with it the last few weeks myself as were others I know.

New goals in place seem to help.

9/04/2005 8:06 PM  
Blogger UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Andrew,
Stop, you are making me blush!

Seriously though, I am happy that you are back and glad to lend support across these many miles. Lean all you need, my friend, I have broad shoulders.

I am looking forward to Cape Cod and, hopefully, a training run in Maine in the next month or so.

9/05/2005 1:26 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Andrew,
On the topic of insanity, let old Albert be your guide when it comes to the insanity of overtraining:

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Albert Einstein

OK, so he never had impressive P.R.s, but still he did come up with a decent thought or two in his time.

Good luck to you and Marc in Cape Cod. Have some chowdah (but wait until after the race)!

Paul

9/09/2005 9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home