Saturday, January 14, 2006

Sympathy Taper

What else can I call this low mileage week of 32 miles if not some sort of 'sympathy taper' for Mike in AZ? I ran 3 days then somehow skipped 4. I know what it is but that doesn't make it feel any better. After a nice run with Mike & Steph for 19 miles last Sunday, I ran into math problems of my own. Monday's workout called for a nice recovery run of 45 minutes "in the zone", a warmup / cooldown and some gentle strides. The night before, in calculating how much time I would need to complete the entire workout, I somehow cheated myself out of 45 minutes - the exact time of the core workout. Isn't that suspicious? Another case of complete computational failure and again without any sign the error occurred. So, imagine my surprise when I awoke for my run and found I only had time to warmup and cooldown? I live life in a continual state of bafflement.

On Tuesday I hardwired the alarm clock to my body after several computer-assisted time calculations to assure that 1) I'd be up on time and 2) I'd have enough time to run. Success on both accounts as I enjoyed 30 minutes TIZ (time in zone) at high aerobic pace. Add the warmup and cooldown and I logged a pleasant 8.5 miles in the early morning. The workout called for a step progression using the HRM but I couldn't see the HRM in the darkness. Therefore, the workout turned out to be a "continuous fast run" which was fine. I even got another 3.1 miles in at lunch at a slow recovery pace. I was feeling great.

Wednesday needed a "low aerobic" run - following the hard/easy rule. Unfortunately, my eldest daughter was up sick and I was up all night tending her. So, no run Wednesday. No problem, these things happen. But what was waiting for me was a 3 day bout of 'tiredness' that seems to have stemmed from that one night. I suspect a low grade, behind the scenes, malaise that my body so far has denied center stage. I've been sleeping quite a bit and this seems to be the best medicine. Tomorrow, Mike & Steph are unavailable for a long run but I think Jon might be around for an easy 17. That would start the week off right.

5 Comments:

Blogger Love2Run said...

Hope you come off your 'taper' in full stride. Stuff happens and you'll be even stronger with the rest. See you on the roads!

1/14/2006 5:30 PM  
Blogger Dallen said...

I love the idea of a sympathy taper.

1/15/2006 6:07 PM  
Blogger Run for Chocolate said...

I have been having a tough time getting up to run as well. I feel hopeful about the longer sunshine though.

1/23/2006 12:44 PM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

your body probably needed the rest! Hope the 17 goes well!

1/23/2006 3:08 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Sympathy taper is a great idea, I should use it, I always have someone tapering:) Things happening, and life is not simply: wake up, run, go to bed. Don't worry about it.

1/24/2006 5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home